I adapted this recipe from Pinch of Yum’s crockpot recipe. If you haven’t checked out this blog, I highly recommend it. I use it for ideas and inspiration all the time!
This recipe is definitely one of my favorites on the site and I wanted to share it with all of you. I don’t have a crockpot at home so I quickly adapted this meal for a stovetop pot and/or dutch oven.
Primavera means, “spring” in Italian and this dish certain celebrates the seasonal vegetables that are so fresh and flavorful, now that it's officially spring!
Chicken and Quinoa Primavera
1 ½ Cups Quinoa
4 Cups Chicken Broth
1 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast cut into bite sized pieces
2 Cups Frozen peas
1 Bunch Asparagus
2 tbsp Pesto (store bough or make your own)
Fresh Herbs (Chives, Parsley, Basil)
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
- Cut the asparagus into bite-sized pieces
- On a baking sheet, drizzle the asparagus with olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon zest/juice
- Bake the asparagus for approximately 20 mintues (while quinoa and chicken are cooking)
- In a large pot or dutch oven, combine the quinoa, broth, chicken, salt and pepper
- Cook for 30 minutes or until the quinoa is light and fluffy and almost fully absorbed the broth. It will be a creamy consistency.
- Add the asparagus, peas, pesto and fresh herbs. Cook for another 10 minutes