This past New Years Eve, Ryan and I hosted a dinner party for a few of his friends. Given the festive occasion, I wanted to make the meal a little fancier than usual. Goodbye Made Simple by Sarah, hello Made Restaurant Quality by Sarah.
But don’t worry, I promise this recipe is still super simple and healthy! The trick to making this recipe look like an appetizer in a fancy restaurant is a ring mold. You fill the ring mold with the tuna and avocado and when you lift the mold, it stays in a perfect cylindrical shape.
The combination of tuna and avocado is refreshing, light, flavorful and a bit decadent. It’s the perfect small plate for a special occasion. I hope your guests enjoy celebrating with this dish as much as I did! Enjoy and happy eating!
(serves 5 people- appetizer portion pictured)
1 lb fresh tuna steak
½ cup olive oil
zest of 1 lime
¼ cup fresh lime juice
2 tsp soy sauce
2 scallions (minced using white and green parts)
2 ripe avocados
1 jalapeno, seeds removed diced (you can leave the seeds if you like it spicier)
salt and pepper to taste
1 ring mold for plating
- Chop the tuna into ¼ inch cubes
- Add the olive oil, lime juice and zest, soy sauce and scallions to the tuna. Mix to combine
- Right before serving, dice the avocado. Combine with the diced jalapeno
- Using a ring mold, place the avocado and jalapeno mixture in the bottom of the mold. Pat down with a back of a spoon until it reaches the edges of the ring mold
- Top with the tuna mixture and gently pat down with the back of a spoon
- Slowly remove the ring mold and drizzle with hot sauce if desired