As soon as fall hits, I get into a baking frenzy. Nothing goes better together than sweater weather and a freshly baked treat. However, to avoid yielding a sweater weather worthy body (that’s a mouthful), I opted to make this banana bread healthy! Banana bread with a high nutrient and energy density- guess what? You’re in luck.
As a health coach, I try and establish a positive relationship with food. Food is part of life and an amazing part at that. We shouldn't be mad at ourselves for craving things like bread, desserts, or in the case of banana bread a genius bread and dessert hybrid.
Instead of beating ourselves up and staring down the path of downward spiral into self-sabotage, we should allow ourselves to pursue these cravings but make a few smart and healthy swaps along the way.
Let’s change the conversation from, “ugh I’m so fat all I want is dessert,” to “I’m really craving a dessert. How can I satisfy this craving in a healthy manner?” Do you see how this small adjustment in how we talk to ourselves, can change our attitude so dramatically?
Fortunately there ARE ways to make desserts healthier when fruit just won't cut it. This Paleo banana bread for example is gluten free, dairy free and sugar free – AKA guilt-free. It is sweetened only with ripe bananas. How nature intended!
Paleo Banana Bread
1 Cup Almond Butter
4 Very Ripe Bananas (the browner, the better)
½ Cup Coconut Flour
3 tbspn Coconut Oil
1 tbspn Cinnamon
1 tspn Baking Soda
1 tspn Baking Powder
1 tspn Vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl
- Add the wet ingredients- Almond Butter, Eggs, Coconut Oil, and Vanilla. Mix to combine with the bananas.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet- Coconut Flour, Cinnamon, Baking Soda, and Baking Powder
- Spray a bread tin with oil (I like coconut oil but any oil spray is fine).
- Bake the bread for 40-45 minutes (until you can remove a toothpick and it is almost dry. A few crumbs are ok! You don’t want the banana bread to be dry)