Summer is my favorite season not only because of the weather, the beach, the rose, basically everything, but also because the fruit is so damn good! At the peak of berry season I incorporate them into every recipe possible.
Fruit pies and crumbles are a personal past-time favorite. As per usual I wanted to convert these butter, gluten and sugar recipes to a Paleo and bikini-body friendly, dessert. As I always preach, it is the small swaps that can make a HUGE difference in our diet! An added bonus of using in-season fruit is they are so naturally sweet on their own it really doesn’t require much, if any, added sweetener.
Like many of my other summer recipes, this dish stemmed from a desire to be out in the sun rather than standing by a stove. A crumble is inherently a lot less labor intensive than a pie. You can throw any fruit into a baking dish and top with a crumble that literally takes 1 MINUTE to make. What can be easier than that?!
This fruit crumble also works for any in-season fruit. I first created the recipe in the beginning of the summer when strawberries and blueberries are most ripe. As the summer goes on (please slow down summer, I beg you) I have adapted the fruit filling to plums and peaches. No doubt I will continue using this in the fall for some good ole apple pie :)
Mixed Berry Cobbler
1 pint Strawberries
6 oz. Raspberries (1 small container)
1 pint Blueberries
3 cups Almond Flour
2 tbsn Cinnamon
½ cup coconut oil
½ cup honey (optional)
Pinch of Salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Place fruit in an 8x8 baking dish
- In bowl mix together the almond flour, cinnamon, coconut oil and honey. *Quick tip- measure the coconut oil and after adding to the bowl, use the same measuring cup for the honey. Since it is oiled the honey will slide right out instead of sticking to the measuring cup…and your hands
- Using a spoon (or your hands) to form a dough. The mixture will resemble a dough more so than crumbs.
- Break up pieces of the dough to cover the fruit
- Bake for 30 minutes