Clients always ask me for breakfast ideas on-the-go. It’s not easy to get a sufficient amount of protein as it is, and if you’re on the run, it makes it even more difficult. While I wish my mornings permitted for a home-cooked meal, more often than not there’s only time to grab my purse and go!
The most popular grab-and-go meal these days seem to be bars. However, you have to be wary of the bar craze. Most bars claiming ample amounts of protein are filled with fake ingredients, not to mention, they are loaded with sugar.
Even the more “natural” bars often contain Whey Protein. Whey protein is fine if you can tolerate dairy, but if you’re Paleo, or just trying to avoid dairy in general, you need to avoid Whey as well.
So where does this leave us for an ideal breakfast to go? I love eggs because they are versatile, low-cal and high protein. I created this recipe so I could easily have eggs for breakfast without having to set aside the time. A heart-healthy, protein-packed breakfast that won’t interfere with my morning schedule? Sold!
Bacon & Egg Cups
4 whole eggs
8 egg whites
4 pieces of turkey bacon
1 cup mushrooms
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- In a sauté pan, pre-cook the bacon
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, egg whites, mushrooms (or any preferred vegetable), salt and pepper
- Once the bacon is cooked, chop and add to the remaining ingredients
- Whisk together until combined
- Spoon the mixture into muffin tins. Do not fill to the top as these will rise!
- Bake for 10-15 minutes
- Store in Tupperware and heat in the microwave or eat cold