As the weather starts to change, all I want to do is curl up in my sweatpants with some quality Netflix and a big bowl of soup. Sunday evenings are perfect for making a giant batch of soup or stew that will carry me through a week of lunches or dinners.
Due to my love for cooking, my boyfriend has become, a little, well spoiled. Don’t get me wrong, I love him to death, but he knows when it comes to food, “ask you and shall receive.” This Sunday, in between first downs and fantasy football rants, a request was made. “I really want soup for dinner, Spicy Tomato Soup actually.” Not at all specific and demanding!
I have to admit though, Spicy Tomato Soup? Doesn’t sound so bad. I spent the rest of the afternoon researching recipes and coming up with my own spicy tomato soup. The results were delicious, and boyfriend approved.
Seriously, needy boyfriend or not, go make this soup. It’s so satisfying and sure to warm you up on a cool fall/winter day.
Spicy Tomato Soup with Roasted Turkey
2 cans (28oz.) whole tomatoes with basil in juice
1 large onion
2 tsp finely chopped garlic
1 tsp finely chopped fresh jalapeno with seeds
2 tsp ground ginger
3 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp ground cumin
2 ¼ cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tsp salt
1 pkg ground turkey (look for cage free and grass/vegetarian fed)
- Dice the onion
- In a 4-5 quart pot, cook onion, garlic, jalapeno and ginger in olive oil. Cook until onion is softened and slightly translucent, about 8 minutes
- Drain 1 can tomatoes, discarding juice. Puree in a food processor and set aside. Drain the second can WITH juice and add to the remaining tomato puree
- Add cumin to onion mixture and cook, stirring, 1 minute
- Stir in pureed tomatoes, chicken broth and salt. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes
- In a pan sauté the turkey. Break into little pieces with the pack of a wooden spoon. Stir occasionally
- In 3 to 4 batches, blend soup in a blender or food processor until smooth. Transfer pureed soup to a serving bowl and repeat with the remaining soup mixture
- Serve and top with any garnish such as fresh basil, as desired